Thursday, July 20, 2006

Hottest day

We have had the hottest July day since records began .

The local paper has reported 37 degrees in Henley market square .There is a Picture of a baby on the front page, and it says underneath, strewth mate , it's hotter here than in Oz--Audrey snowden aged14 months finds the weather in her new home in Henley just like her native Australia .

Now some family news .Nan and Grandad have sold their bungalow in park way for £210,000 , and have bought another bungalow on a warden assisted site in East preston for £125,000 .

Also Nan told me that they will have to buy single beds because they can't manage to turn the mattress , or launder the 5ft duvet cover and sheets. What a shame after more than 50 years sleeping together in the same bed .

Dad has a very bad cold .

Ben has started pre season football training , and we are going to watch him play on saturday .No chance of it being rained off as the heatwave is here to stay .

I saw a sprinkler being used today .The only green lawn around here . I would not report them .

I have bought some new breakfast cereal it is made by Jordans ;The superfoods Breakfast flakes, wholegrain oats ,almonds , cranberries and Blueberries .Its high in fibre ,,and antioxidants for a healthy heart and wellbeing .In my waitrose magazine, which has lots of recipes from Bill Grainger ,It says that Weet-bix is Australias most popular breakfast ceral , selling 22 million boxes a year.Also it says there are more espresso machines in Australia , than in Italy ,due to the popularity of coffee shops which increased by 100% between 2001 and 2004 .

4 comments:

Comrade Alkowski said...

It's true that in Australia we have 1.5 Coffee shops per person. Most other retail outlets have been phased out in favour of Cafe's with alfresco dining.

A question: do you need to turn the mattress? and I've never heard of people washing Duvets!
I'm shocked. Seems sad they have to move because of a couple of tasks that I didnt think existed in the modern world. Well well.

Wendy said...

They are moving because they are getting to old to maintain their bungalow and garden ,also they will have 24 hour help available ,and no maintenance .Do you remember when they were wardens themselves?

You must turn mattresses often .It is the linen that is heavy and difficut to manage ,especially when wet .Its not that easy to put a cover on a king size duvet .All linen and towels must be washed at 60degrees or more to kill the mites .

It is sad them moving .Nan is not pleased but is making the best of it .She wanted to stay in southwick ,but no Retirement places there .

Comrade Alkowski said...

I do remember when they were wardens; we visited them a few times in Islington. When I did live in London I was never sure where it was they used to work and wondered if I ever passed it without realising.

You know, I think it is difficult to put a King-Sized duvet cover on. All of my female cleaners seem to be clueless on this matter. None of them realised it is wider than it is long, and all of them complain it's too heavy or they have back problems. Struth! I tell ya, people these days have gone soft. The manager of the cleaning company I use cant believe how bloody useless some of these girls are. The one male cleaner I had for a while made the beds perfectly every time. Now he's gone I have to do all the beds myself.

All the sheets, pillow cases, and towels are sent to a luandry service. The only thing I launder is the bath-robes and duvet covers. We also do the european pillow cases and the posh pillow cases ourselves. But we have an industrial luandry setup with a gas-powered tumble dryer.

Can they have their dog in the new home?

Wendy said...

A lot of companies want older people as cleaners , because they know how to clean and change beds .At the farm ,the lady likes me to reuse the top sheet if a one night stay .Also because of 2 sheets , Duvets cover rarely changed .All the washing is done there .I hang it outside on the long washing lines .She has a press iron for the linen .There are beds for 8 .
Nan and grandad can have pets there .So that is good .